The Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India (GoI) has established National Testing Agency (NTA) as an independent autonomous and self-sustained premier testing organization under Society Registration Act 1860 for conducting efficient, transparent and international standards tests in order to assess the competency of candidates for admissions to premier higher education institutions. The Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India has entrusted the responsibility of conducting Joint Entrance Examination JEE (Main) to the NTA from 2019 onwards. Admission criteria to Undergraduate Engineering Programs at NITs, IIITs, other Centrally Funded Technical Institutions (CFTI), Institutions funded by participating State Governments, and other Institutions shall include the performance in the class 12/equivalent qualifying Examination and in the Joint Entrance Examination, JEE (Main). The B. E. /B. Tech. of JEE (Main) will also be an eligibility test for the JEE (Advanced), which the candidate has to take if he/she is aspiring for admission to the undergraduate programs offered by the IITs.
What is JEE Main ?
The JEE (Main)-2020 will be conducted twice before admissions in the next academic session. The students will have following benefits of the new pattern:
This will give one more opportunity to the students to improve their scores in examination if they fail to give their best in first attempt without wasting their whole academic year.
In first attempt, the students will get a first-hand experience of taking an examination and to know their mistakes which they can improve while attempting for the second time.
This will reduce chances of dropping a year and droppers would not have to waste a full year.
If anyone missed the examination due to reasons beyond control, then he/she won’t have to wait for one full year.
The student’s best of the two NTA scores will be considered for preparation of Merit List/ Ranking.
The first JEE (Main) – 2020 was held in January 2020 whereas the second will be held in April, 2020.
Mode of Examination
JEE (Main)-2020 will be conducted in the following modes:
B. Arch: Mathematics- Part I and Aptitude Test-Part II in “Computer Based Test (CBT)” mode only and Drawing Test –Part III in “Pen & Paper Based” (offline) mode to be attempted on drawing sheet of A4 size.
JEE Main 2020 New Changes Introduced
Candidates can check below the new changes introduced in JEE Mains 2020 test:
- From the year 2020, the exam is being conducted separately for BE/B.Tech, B.Arch & Planning courses. Candidates can appear for all the courses or separately.
- Application Fee has been increased as compared to last year. It can be paid through online mode.
- Changes in Exam pattern: New changes have been introduced in the exam pattern of JEE Main 2020. The number of questions in the exam paper has been decreased to 25 questions (per subject) on comparison to last year (30 questions). Also, besides the MCQs in the paper there will be questions whose answers are to be filled as numerical values.
- From this year, the paper pattern of B.Plan has been separately introduced in JEE Main.
- From 2019 onwards, National Testing Agency (NTA) is given the responsibility to conduct the entrance exams of JEE Main.
- NTA JEE Main 2020 will be conducted twice every year in the months of January & April in online CBT mode.
- The age limit to apply for JEE Mains has been removed. Now candidates fulfilling the eligibility criterion can apply for the exam irrespective of their age.
- For JEE Main B.Arch/B.Plan paper, it is mandatory for the candidates to have Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry subjects.
- Aadhar card is not mandatory to apply for JEE Mains 2020 entrance exams.
- Candidates appearing among the top 2,45,000 qualified students will be eligible to appear for JEE Advanced.
- NTA has set up more than 3400 Practice centers in the country for the preparation of the students.
- Diabetic students can take water bottle, fruits and sugar tablets inside the exam center.
JEE Mains 2020 Exam Dates
Below we have provided all the official JEE Main Dates for various events taking place in the January session (over) and April session:
|Release of Online Application||7th February 2020|
|Last date to submit application||12th March 2020|
|Last date of fee submission & image uploading||12th March 2020|
|Application form re-open||19th – 24th May 2020 (Re-open)|
|Application correction window||25th – 31st May 2020|
|Downloading of Admit card||–|
|JEE Mains 2020 Exam||18th – 23rd July 2020 (Announced)|
|Announcement of Result||–|
|Notification release||August 2019|
|Release of Application Form||3rd September 2019|
|Image correction started||13th September 2019|
|Last date to submit the application form||10th October 2019 (Extended)|
|Last date of fee submission & image uploading||11th October 2019|
|Application correction window||14th – 20th October 2019|
|Availability of Admit card||6th December 2019 (Released)|
|JEE Main 2020 Exam||6th – 9th January 2020|
|Release of answer key & responses||13th January 2020|
|Last date to submit objection||15th January 2020|
|Final answer key release||17th January 2020|
|Declaration of Results||17th January 2020|
JEE Main 2020 Application Correction
For all the candidates who have register successfully for JEE Main April session, the board has re-started JEE Main Application correction facility to correct mistakes. This facility is for the students who want to make corrections in the details of application form. Correction in uploaded images has been started after completion of application process.
The application correction window has been re-opened from 25th to 31st May 2020 for the April session registration.
Students are able to correct details in the application through online mode only. To make correction in the application, students have to pay an additional amount of fee.
Correction in the application must be done by the candidates before the last date of form submission.
JEE Main 2020 Admit Card
NTA JEE Main Admit Card for April session exam will be released in the month of July 2020.
To download the admit card, candidates have to click on the provided online link and enter their application number and password. Candidates are also informed about their release of admit card through SMS or mail.
JEE Mains 2020 Slot Booking
The allocation of exam date, shift and exam centers will be done by NTA itself. Students are not provided with the option of selecting the exam date, time or venue using slot booking. It will be done by authority few days before the release of admit card. To check the allotted exam date, time, shift and center, students have to login through their registered id and password.
No request or correspondence will be further entertained in this case by the officials.
JEE Main 2020 Exam Pattern
JEE Mains 2020 April Session entrance test will be conducted 18th to 23rd July 2020.
Check the complete NTA JEE Main Exam pattern provided below, before starting your exam preparation:
- Exam Mode: The entrance test will be organized in online CBT mode. However, the drawing test of B.Arch Paper will be only held in offline mode.
- Number of Papers: The entrance exam will be held for B.E/B.Tech, B.Arch and B.Plan papers.
- Type of Questions: The questions in both the papers will be of objective type. As per new changes, the paper will also have questions in which answers are to be filled as numerical values. The drawing test of B.Arch paper will be of subjective type.
- Total Marks: Paper of B.E/ B.Tech will be of total 300 marks. While, B.Arch/ B.Plan will be of total 400 marks.
- Number of Questions: Paper of B.E/ B.Tech will consists of total 75 questions. B.Arch paper will have total of 77 questions and B.Plan paper will have total of 100 questions.
- Marking Scheme: 4 marks will be given for every correct answer. 1 mark will be deducted for each incorrect answer.
- Language Medium: The question paper will be available in English, Hindi, Gujarati & some other state languages.
- Time Duration: The time duration to complete the paper will be of 3 hours. Extra time of 1 hour will be provided to candidates with 40% disability (PwD candidates).
Check the section wise distribution of questions and marks for both the papers of JEE Main 2020:
For B.Arch Paper:
|Subject||Number of Questions|
JEE Main 2020 Syllabus
The complete NTA JEE Main Syllabus can be checked by the students via online mode. Syllabus of Paper I contain various topics from the subjects of Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics studied in the 11th and 12th level.
Paper II Syllabus contain topics from the Aptitude, Mathematics and Drawing sections.
Check below the detailed syllabus of JEE Main 2020
For JEE Mains 2020 B.Arch/ B.Plan Paper:
Part I: Awareness of persons, places, Visualising three dimensional objects from two dimensional drawings, Buildings, Analytical Reasoning Mental Ability (Visual, Numerical and Verbal),Materials, Visualising, etc.
Part II: Understanding and appreciation of scale and proportion of objects, colour texture, building forms and elements, Transformation of forms both 2 D and 3 D union, harmony and contrast, Creating two dimensional and three dimensional compositions using given shapes and forms, subtraction, rotation, etc.
JEE Main 2020 Answer Key
NTA will release JEE Main Answer key after the completion of entrance exams. It will be published shift wise for various sessions in PDF format by online mode. The Answer key for second session JEE Main will be available from July 2020.
JEE Main Answer key (January session) was released on 13th January 2020 on the website.
To access the answer key candidates will have to enter their application number and password. After downloading it, candidates will get to know the correct answers of the questions asked in the test and able to calculate the probable score.
In case candidates find any discrepancy in the Answer key, they can openly challenge the Answer key by paying certain amount of fee and submitting proof.
JEE Main 2020 Result
NTA JEE Main 2020 Results (Second session) will be announced in the month of August 2020. For the January session JEE Main the result was declared on 17th January 2020. Candidates can access their results by entering their date of birth and roll number.
Along with the result announcement, the scorecard will also be released online.
JEE Main 2020 Scorecard
JEE Main 2020 Scorecard is an important document which mention various details about the candidate – name, roll number, parent’s name, category, state code of eligibility, marks obtained, All India rank, Category wise rank, qualifying status etc.
Candidates can download their scorecards by online mode along with the release of result. No scorecard will be dispatched to the candidates by offline mode.
JEE Mains 2020 Rank List
JEE Main 2020 Rank list will be released by NTA after the declaration of results. Marks secured in the JEE Mains 2020 entrance test will be evaluated and based on that ranks will be allotted to the candidates. Candidate’s All India rank and category rank will be mentioned in the rank list.
The percentile score of the candidates will be calculated using the normalization procedure.
JEE Main 2020 Cut Off
NTA will release the JEE Main Cut Off by online mode. To appear in the All India centralized counselling process, it is necessary for the candidates to obtain the minimum cut off marks. The cut off marks will be released for various categories.
In the table given below we have provided previous years cut off trends for various categories:
|Category||Cut-off 2018||Cut-off 2017||Cut-off 2016||Cut-off 2015|
JEE Main 2020 Counselling
Candidates successfully scoring the minimum cut off marks will be considered eligible to participate in JEE Mains Counselling process. The counselling process will be held in completely online centralized process.
To participate in the counselling process students have to first register themselves. The counselling process will be organized by JoSAA. Candidates will be allotted seats in various participating institutions like NIT, IIT, CFTI etc.
Based on applicant’s category, rank obtained, seats availability and other factors, seats will be allocated. After the seat allocation, candidates have to report at the allotted institution for the document verification process.
JEE Main 2020 Application Form
Candidates can check various important details below regarding JEE Main 2020 Application form:
- The Application form filling process for the April session has been started from 7th February 2020 by NTA.
- The complete online registration process contain various steps – Online Registration, Filling the Application online, Uploading of Images, Payment of Application fee and Printing the Application.
- Last date to submit the application form for the April session will be till 12th March 2020.
- Candidates are allowed to submit only one application form. Multiple applications from one candidate will get rejected.
Mode of Payment: Applicants can pay the fee by online mode through net banking/debit card/credit card, UPI & PAYTM. No offline mode is available to pay the application fee.
JEE Main 2020 Application fee for various categories is given in the table below:
|Exam Center in India||Exam Center Outside India|
|Gen/Gen-EWS/ OBC-NCL candidates||Boys – Rs.650|
Girls – Rs.325
|Boys – Rs.3000|
Girls – Rs.1500
|SC/ ST/ PwD/ Transgender candidates||Boys – Rs.325|
Girls – Rs.325
|Boys – Rs.1500|
Girls – Rs.1500
|B.E./B.Tech & B. Arch|
B.E./B.Tech & B. Planning
B.E./B.Tech, B. Arch &
B.Arch & B.Planning
|Gen/Gen-EWS/ OBC-NCL candidates||Boys – Rs.1300|
Girls – Rs.650
|Boys – Rs.6000|
Girls – Rs.3000
|SC/ ST/ PwD/ Transgender candidates||Boys – Rs.650|
Girls – Rs.650
|Boys – Rs.3000|
Girls – Rs.3000
JEE Main 2020 Eligibility Criteria
Candidates must go through the JEE Main Eligibility criterion, before filling the application form:
- Qualifying Exam: Applying candidate must have passed 10+2 level exam or its equivalent in 2018 or 2019 from a recognized board or university.
- Appearing Candidates: Candidates who are appearing in class 12th exam can also apply.
- Diploma Holders: Candidates who are holding diploma can also apply for admissions only in IITs.
- Qualifying Subjects: For B.E/B.tech, candidate in their 12th level must have passed with at least of five subjects with Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects along with Biology, Chemistry, Biotechnology or any other technical vocational.
- For B.Arch: Students must have passed 12th level with Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry subjects.
- For B.Plan: For B.Planning, students must have passed their 12th level with Mathematics subject.
- Age Criterion: There is no age limit prescribed to apply for JEE Main 2020.
- Total Attempts: There will be no attempt limit.
Institutions wise Eligibility:
- To get admission into IITs. NITs, CFTIs and other institutions through CSAB, students have secured 75% (For ST/SC – 65%) marks or must be under top 20 percentile in 12th level exams.
- On the basis of All India Rank of the candidate secured in the test, admission will be provided.